Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ornaments

Every year I try to find us a special ornament that represents something we did that year. We did a lot this year, but I had a hard time finding that "special" ornament. I got one in South Carolina while we were there, Jacob got a new Boy Scout one, I found an awesome camera one. They are all great, but none of them are "the one."
While browsing Pinterest one day for ideas for my photography class, I came across this tutorial. I thought it would be a great project for my class to have them take their own family photo and turn it into an ornament. A few days ago, I thought I should have a completed one to show what they will all be making. I printed off one of our photos from our recent family photo session with my friend Chris Malpass, and got to work. I am so glad I did! This ornament means so much more to me than all the others we have gotten this year.
When I found out we would be staying in Virginia for the weekend, I thought it would be a great time to get some family photos done. We don;t have any professional photos of all of us, so when Chris said he was available that weekend, I was so excited! Despite the cold cold wind and unfortunate circumstances we were facing that weekend (which I have been told is written all over my face), I am so glad we toughed it out and got them done. This ornament will be something I cherish forever!

Here is my step-by-step:

I first gathered all my supplies- paper, Mod Podge, a foam brush, my photo, and the rectangle piece of wood for the ornament. the tutorial called for a 5x7, but since I am hanging it on my tree, and using this for my class project, and Hobby Lobby didn't have enough in stock, I went with the 2 1/2"x 3 1/2" size




 Then I cut my paper down and sized the photo to fit, and adhered them to the piece of wood with the Mod Podge.

 I had to find a way for it to dry both sides at the same time without sticking to something (Yes, because I am impatient!), so I cut a hole in the bowl I was using!
 I added a sparkly silver ribbon and another coat of Mod Podge...

And here is the finished product!! I just love it!!


















Do you have any special ornaments or traditions?? I would love to hear about them!


No comments:

Post a Comment