Thursday, July 10, 2014

Skirt Refashion!

Welcome back!

I have been so busy trying to get ready for our move! Only two more weeks until we say goodbye to Rhode Island! I am trying to be more diligent in posting here. I have a few posts scheduled over the next few weeks!

This week, I want to share something fun I got to do recently. I have been following this blog for about a year now. I love seeing all the new creations each week. It has totally inspired me to want to sew more! I finally decided to take a trip to our local thrift store. I found this skirt that I instantly fell in love with. I don't know what it is about it. The bright colors. The flowers. The fact that I have been loving skirts lately...

Anyways...I was *sure* it would fit. I don't like to try things on. The number on the tag matched my usual size. Good enough. I bought it. Then I got home and tried it on. Too small. :( Just by the tiniest bit, but enough that I couldn't wear it as is. I thought about just re-donating it, but I was so excited about wearing it one day that it went into my "one day this will fit me" pile. Don't judge. I know you have one, too! :)

A few days later, I got my latest ReFashionista email and was instantly inspired to "fix" my skirt. I got to work as soon as nap time commenced!

My first step was to remove the zipper. This was the piece that caused me problems during try on. My handy seem ripper helped me out!


One that was done, I sewed a new hem at the top. I somehow have a ridiculous amount of elastic in my sewing box. I made crib sheets frequently, and I think I buy new elastic every time because I think I'm out. Today, it got used for my skirt! Once I sewed the hem, I folded it over and sewed a "pocket" for the elastic to go through. I even pinned it! (As much as I don't like to try things on, I don't like pinning things when I sew even more!!)


Got that done and moved on to the not so fun part...Pulling the elastic through the pocket. I hook my elastic onto a safety pin to make it easier to pull through. Everything was going great until I hot a seam. There was too much fabric for the safety pin to get through! Grrr. I fought it for much longer than I should have before I finally gave up.  I unstitched that little spot, pulled the elastic through, then stitched it back up.


I now have a skirt that fits! I haven't worn it yet, but when I do, I will be sure to update this post with pictures!!


I have another refashion post lined up for you soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget